Monday, July 13, 2009

Do Hard Things?


See that book up there? It's called Do Hard Things, and it's one of the most popular books for Christian teens right now. I've read it through once (maybe twice, I can't remember), and it's definitely a good book. The message of throwing off low expectations is something our generation really needs to here.

Anyway, this post isn't met to be a review of Do Hard Things, nor is it meant to be an attack on the book. I just want to share something God's been teaching me lately in relation to the book. One of the things that I found myself doing after reading the book & blog is looking for big, hard things to do, like the kids in the book. Some of the examples they've given are huge - kids raising thousands of dollars, fighting social evils, and making a major difference. After the book, I wanted to change the world.

Lately though, God's been showing me that it really doesn't matter how big or hard the things I do are. What matters that I'm doing what God wants me too. It's quality over quantity. I'm better off, and making more of a difference, by doing whatever God wants me too, whether big or small, because God doesn't see things the way we see them. He sees them the way they truly are. To me, some of the things God leads me to do seem to be pretty insignificant, you know, commenting on a photo on Facebook, Twittering about something, listening to or not listening to a song, that sort of thing. But the thing I'm finding is that no matter how insignificant the thing seems to be, it has affects that I can't see. And the only way to truly make a difference is by doing what God wants you to. There's no size requirements. I know some very ordinary people who have never done anything "big" or "hard", and yet, they've followed God step by step, and He's used them in ways neither they nor I will ever understand.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is this: That I need to follow God, and not worry about how big the things I'm doing are. It's so simple, and no matter what happens, the results are in God's hands. It's seems to be pretty inglorious most of the time, and often, no one seems to notice, but even if I never save a life, I'll be content to know that God's used me to touch lives, and that He, at least, is proud of me. Of course, that'll only happen with His help, but He's promised that He'll never ask anything we can't handle, so I trust He'll be faithful. And, somehow, I know I'm in for the adventure of a lifetime...

No comments: